Monday, October 18, 2010

app trail day 5

Day 5                                                                                                                                                                    9/16/10
Brown Creek Swimming hole to Punchbowl shelter (8 miles)
Seth’s feet are killing me, Ugh. So today was a rough one. Woke up and did our usual routine. So much 4 waking up early. Got 10 or 11 hours of sleep again. Apparently I’m afraid of bridges. Had a dream Seth and I were on one and it broke and he fell and died. It was higher than that bridge on Indiana Jones Temple of Doom. Seth doesn’t want me to shave anything. I think it’s because he’s gay and wants to make me his perfect man haha. I’ll be able to braid my pits soon. J/k while we’re not going hungry at all, I know we’re burning more calories than what we’re using. I don’t want to lose too much weight or I’ll lose my boobs. I’d rather have a little more meat on my bones and have some boobs. I guess I can't buy clothes before i move to New York because I'll be skinny, and then a couple of pizza slices later, those clothes won't fit. I lose and gain weight quickly which is why my upper thighs make me look like I'm a zebra. I don't have skinny or fat clothes either-just clothes-and it's just a matter of if they are tight or loose. The worse thing is when you go to unbutton your "fat" pants while you're eating and find that they're already unbuttoned... so at any rate, I hope to gain some muscle but not lose the tots. My brother once told me that if my life plans don't pan out, I could be a body builder. Might take him up on that.
So the first 4 miles weren't too bad. No views today either. I lead the way for the majority of the day and time went by quickly at first as Seth rapidly learned how to count to 100 in Spanish and then he learned all conjugations for the verbs "tener," "querer" and "necesitar." He knows the basics of needing/asking for food, water and potty. Quick learner that one. Asked him some questions about being home schooled that I should probably have known and talked about how women in public restrooms won't poop if other women are around. They will sit/squat perfectly quiet and still until the other person leaves. It gets really interesting when there's two women like that in a bathroom-how do they decide who cracks -ha-first? Men do not care; they will blow up a toilet seat and write their names on the stalls with the poop left on the walls of the toilet. But women, honestly, if you can't poop in a bathroom, where (besides the woods) can you? So we hiked forever and then suddenly looked up and the big rocks, trees and the trail were moving all crazy, similar to how the carpet moves after a game of guitar hero. We got to a foot bridge-scary because it was moving and decided to eat brunch there. Felt pretty proud that we'd accomplished 4 miles. Ate tuna packets and crackers and were off. Felt a few drops of rain, but nothing came of it. No views today either.
Then we started on our next 4 miles We went uphill forever, forever on Rice Mountain. Seth called himself White on Rice. Appropriately phrased as White is his last name. While uphill is easier on the feet, this was rough. Every time we turned, more uphill (more cowbell!). It was insane- 1200 feet non-stop. Sometimes, looking up, I'd have to laugh to myself. Then it was a mix of up and down. Saw some beautiful bright red, orange and yellow leaves. No breeze again today and pesky, pesky gnats. Called my mom where she gave me the good news that my sister was going to have another girl!! Lots of estrogen in that house-my sister and my first niece alone haha. Then after the road, it was all uphill again until we made it to the shelter. While we felt pretty defeated during the incessant climb, we were proud once we finally got to Punchbowl Shelter. No clue why it's named that. We got to the campsite and saw the 47 year old at the shelter. We found a campsite and I started to set up our home, while Seth got water. Hanging the bearbag of food with Seth was especially entertaining. We collected wood for the fire while we still had some daylight and Seth built a fire-our first one of the trip. Our 47 year old neighbor told us that the shitter was one of the nicest he's seen... i refuse to poop in those- rather dig may own hole and let the peanut butter soft serve land where it may. The fire was great and and our meal of garlic mashed taters and chicken from a packet was very filling. Seth put some socks on and the smell has subsided. Gotta brush the chomps and go to beddybye. Excited about my new niece!! I wonder what L name they'll give her. Ok gnite till tomorrow si Dios quiere.




No comments:

Post a Comment