Monday, October 18, 2010

app trail day 6

Day 6 Punchbowl Shelter --> John's Hollow Shelter (9 miles)                                     9/17/10

My legs are so sticky in this sleeping bag. Didn't shower yesterday or today. I just make sure I wash my face, hands, brush my teeth and wipe down everything else with moist wipes.  When I told Seth I wanted to shower, that I wanted to shower he responded that humans were meant to be dirty. Yeah, but then we stopped growing tails, i responded. Didn't poop today either-that never happens. I have these little what looks like white heads where my pack straps hit me. I hope the water i've been drinking doesnt contain anaything with a long incubation period or at all for that matter. MSR water filter, don't fail us now. After brushing last night, i accidently let in two bugs and freaked out about it. Then this morning after plucking the uni, and picking up the tent, I found a I shit you not catepillar in my pants! You know i screamed. After blueberry oatmeal, the hiking started out easy enough. Seth learned more Spenish and retained everything from yesterday. Made that time go by faster. Hiked uphill (finished hioking up Punchbowl Mountain) and did the climb up to Bluff Mountain. Posed with cards like I was blufffing. Wanted to grab a hiking pole and limbo under to be Beebe Bluff from Doug but I figure no one would get it. Decided to eat and then try out my taser. I let Seth shoot it and it shot very far and was pretty loud. I screamed of course. The thing it actullay shot out looked like a fish hook, metal bee sting type jam. We both agreed we wouldnt want to be on the other end of that-duh. Saw a memorial to a deceased child from 1891-he was almost 5 years old. That stuff, though sad scares me. I kept picturing the kid from Pet Semetary or the Omen popping up. Although I'm sure the kid from the Omen isn't 5, but 6. Moving on at a rapid pace. Seth and I got into a fight about whatever and I stormed off. In the fight vs. flight, I fly. If I'm mad (omg, me and Seth hear an animal!...) Let's let everyone chill out and then we'll talk about it. That anger gave me some hiking speed though. I booked it. We met up at the view and talked it all out. Aw we kept hearing a train that reminded us of the JMU train. The rest of the day was mainly downhill with some uphills to Big Rocky Row and Little Rocky Row. Lot of downhill and appropriately named becuase it was extremely rocky. Then the last 2 miles dragged on forever and it felt as if someone was stabbing my upper back. No leading on the last 2 miles and I was whiny. I hacked at a branch on the ground that got in my way and cussed at the gnats, mosquitoes and spider webs I kept running into. Got to camp and Seth made a fire. I called back home and might try to call some others tomorrow from the hotel. Yes, hotel. Seth and I are cheating. Heading to Buena Vista. We were going to go to Glasgow, but they don't really have accomadations and Lexington is too expemsive, so we called a cab company to get us from the highway after 2 miles of hiking for $30 and probably going to the Budget Inn $69 or $59. As long as it's clean, I'm good. I was strongly opposed to staying in a hotel despite Seth saying that all thru-hikers did it. It wasn't much of an argumnet because we're not thru-hikers (hikers that hike the whole enchilada) but just 3 weekers. I guess we can pose as thru-hikers. Can't wait to eat at one of the 4 restaurants the Budget Inn guy talked about. Well I guess actually only 3, he did say Eyetalian restaurant twice.









No comments:

Post a Comment